The National Food Law Student Network (FLSN) is a collaboration of law students from around the country dedicated to promoting the study and practice of food law and related fields. In 2015, the Harvard Food Law and Policy Clinic hosted its inaugural Food Law Student Leadership Summit, which was the first conference to convene law students from around the country who share a passion for the legal issues surrounding food. At the Summit, attendees heard from national experts about key food law and policy issues related to the environment, health, food safety, and food waste; developed strategies to start or expand student organizations focused on food law; participated in small group policy simulations; and learned about a vast array of opportunities for pursuing food law and policy during law school and beyond. Following the Summit, participants launched FLSN in recognition of the growing interest in food law and policy and the need to connect students and professionals with a passion for this field. FLSN continues to act as a resource for law students around the country and help organize annual Summits in collaboration with the Harvard Food Law and Policy Clinic.
Motivated by a shared desire to improve the food system, FLSN raises law student voices in the national conversation about our food system. FLSN serves as a hub to exchange ideas, knowledge, and practical skills, while building enduring connections among students and professionals to support the next generation of food law and policy advocates.
FLSN fulfills this mission by:
- Hosting regional and national events, including the Food Law Student Leadership Summit;
- Providing guidance and resources for students to promote food policy at their schools;
- Connecting students to unique food law and policy projects through the Network and our partners;
- Serving as a liaison between students and professionals in order to cultivate mentoring relationships; and
- Curating a clearinghouse of funding, internship, and employment opportunities.
Join FLSNto receive information and updates on all of the above and more!
If you are a faculty member or scholar in the field of food law and policy check out the Academy of Food Law & Policy.